Frequently Asked Questions
- How are ads priced?
- Can I post an ad promoting my job openings?
- How can I target my ads?
- What are the ad specifications?
- What is the process for becoming a publisher?
- Where do the ads link to?
- How are my ads scheduled?
- How can I see how my ads are performing?
- How can I manage my ads?
- Where do my ads appear?
- What type of ads are acceptable?
- What are the details of the EthicalAds audience?
- Do my ads support open source?
- How can I get started advertising?
How are ads priced?
We have packages to simplify advertising with us, but you can always put together a custom ad campaign. The exact cost will depend on your targeting with geography being the biggest factor. See our prospectus for details.
Can I post an ad promoting my job openings?
Absolutely. We have packages specifically to help you find developers.
How can I target my ads?
In line with our ethical advertising approach, we believe that ads can be well targeted while respecting users' privacy. We only target based on a user's country and the content of the page where the ad is served. For ads targeting the USA, we also support targeting by state.
Advertisers may also target ads by topics. Currently, these topics are:
- Data science and machine learning
- Backend web development
- Frontend web development
- Security and privacy
- Technical writing
Our prospectus will have the latest details and rates on keyword targeting. More niche targeting is possible although campaigns may take longer to fulfill due to availability. Inquire for details.
What are the ad specifications?
There are two main ad placements across the EthicalAds network. We support unobtrusive text & image placements which use a 240 * 180px image (displayed at 120 * 90) and up to 100 characters of supporting text. There's also a text-only placement that uses up to 100 characters without an image. Publishers choose which placement best fits with their site and we have seen great performance for advertisers and publishers with both types.
Our prospectus has the full details and example screenshots.
What is the process for becoming a publisher?
The process generally follows these steps:
- You fill out our publisher form which lets us know you're interested.
- We reply via email, telling you if you'd be a good fit. If so, we ask a few questions and confirm you want a publisher account.
- You reply, confirming you want a publisher account.
- We create an account for you, and send you an invite for our publisher dashboard. We also send you information about integrating the ads, which will show test ads to start.
- You integrate the ads in your site, and let us know so we can review the placement.
- We review the placement on your site, and then turn on paid ads for your account.
Where do the ads link to?
The ads can link to any URL. Typically they will link to your landing page on your website. You may include UTM parameters or other URL parameters to know that the traffic came from your ad on our site.
How are my ads scheduled?
We attempt to schedule advertising evenly based on the length and size of your campaign. However, if you want to advertise as fast as possible, we can definitely do that.
In order to respect our users' privacy, we do not allow any third-party ad scripts.
How can I see how my ads are performing?
Once you become an advertiser with us, you will have access to view live reports on the performance of your ads including how many times they were viewed and clicked. We count a viewable impression when the ad comes into the browser viewport.
How can I manage my ads?
After you become an advertiser, you will get access to our advertising platform where you can create, change, or turn off your ads as well as see live reports broken down by each ad.
Where do my ads appear?
Ads appear on sites that belong to our publisher network. Placement is customizable based on their requirements, but we always ensure a valuable placement.
What type of ads are acceptable?
We want ads that are of interest to our audience of millions of software developers.
EthicalAds has final approval for all ads with respect to editorial and creative content but generally this isn't an issue.
What are the details of the EthicalAds audience?
EthicalAds is 100% software developers of varying skill levels. Our peak traffic times for each region is during business hours and many people reading the docs are doing so while building software professionally.
We have some more details in our advertising guide.
Do my ads support open source?
EthicalAds is open source software and the ads go to support development of the publishers where ads are hosted.
How can I get started advertising?
We thought you'd never ask. Simply fill out our advertising information form. A member of our team will contact you with a detailed prospectus and will walk you through the process of getting started advertising on Read the Docs.