Terms of Service
Effective date: December 8, 2022
Thank you for using EthicalAds ("Read the Docs, Inc.", "EthicalAds", "we")! We're happy you're here. Please read this Terms of Service agreement carefully before accessing or using EthicalAds. Because it is such an important contract between us and our users, we have tried to make it as clear as possible. For your convenience, we have presented these terms in a short non-binding summary followed by the full legal terms.
- Account terms
- Acceptable use
- API terms
- Advertising on the EthicalAds network
- Cancellation and termination
- Communications with EthicalAds
- Disclaimer of warranties
- Limitation of liability
- Release and indemnification
- Changes to these terms
Short version: We use these basic terms throughout the agreement, and they have specific meanings. You should know what we mean when we use each of the terms. There's not going to be a test on it, but it's still useful information.
- Our "Service" or "Services" refers to the applications, software, products, and services provided by EthicalAds.
- The "Network" refers to EthicalAds' network located at ethicalads.io and server.ethicalads.io, and all content, services, and products provided by EthicalAds at or through our sites and Network.
- "The User," "You," and "Your" refer to the individual person, company, or organization that has a publisher or advertiser account using our Network or Services; that accesses or uses any part of the Account; or that directs the use of the Account in the performance of its functions. A User must be at least 13 years of age.
- "EthicalAds," "We," and "Us" refer to Read the Docs, Inc., as well as our affiliates, directors, subsidiaries, contractors, licensors, officers, agents, and employees.
- An "Account" represents your legal relationship with EthicalAds. A "User Account" represents an individual User's authorization to log in to and use the Service and serves as a User's identity on EthicalAds. Generally, users who merely see or click on ads do not have an Account.
- A "Publisher" is a person, company, or organization who hosts ads from our Network on their own website. An "Advertiser" is a person, company, or organization who advertises on our Network. Both Advertisers and Publishers have Accounts.
EthicalAds is made up of the following sites:
This website contains landing pages explaining our Service and Network.
- server.ethicalads.io ("Ad Server")
The website that serves ads on behalf of our Advertisers and are displayed on Publishers' websites.
User Accounts have different administrative controls; a human must create your Account (usually after receiving an invite); you must be 13 or over; and you must provide a valid email address. You alone are responsible for your Account and anything that happens while you are signed in to or using your Account. You are responsible for keeping your Account secure.
Users Subject to these Terms, you retain ultimate administrative control over your User Account and the Content within it. Users can share access to their Publisher or Advertiser accounts with other Users.
You must provide a valid email address in order to receive an invite and complete the signup process. Any other information requested, such as your real name, is optional, unless you are accepting these terms on behalf of a legal entity (in which case we need more information about the legal entity). In order to pay for advertising or receive payouts as a publisher, we may require additional information necessary for billing purposes.
We have a few simple rules for User Accounts on EthicalAds' Services.
- You must be a human to create an Account. Accounts registered by "bots" or other automated methods are not permitted. We do permit machine accounts:
- A machine account is an Account set up by an individual human who accepts the Terms on behalf of the Account, provides a valid email address, and is responsible for its actions. A machine account is used exclusively for performing automated tasks. Multiple users may direct the actions of a machine account, but the owner of the Account is ultimately responsible for the machine's actions.
- You must be age 13 or older. We must comply with United States law. EthicalAds does not target our Services to children under 13, and we do not permit any Users under 13 on our Service. If we learn of any User under the age of 13, we will have to close your account. If you are a resident of a country outside the United States, your country's minimum age may be older; in such a case, you are responsible for complying with your country's laws.
- You may not use EthicalAds in violation of export control or sanctions laws of the United States or any other applicable jurisdiction. You may not use EthicalAds if you are or are working on behalf of a Specially Designated National (SDN) or a person subject to similar blocking or denied party prohibitions administered by a U.S. government agency. EthicalAds may allow persons in certain sanctioned countries or territories to access certain EthicalAds services pursuant to U.S. government authorizations.
User Account security
You are responsible for keeping your Account secure while you use our Service.
- You are responsible for all activity that occurs under your Account.
- You are responsible for maintaining the security of your Account and password. EthicalAds cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage from your failure to comply with this security obligation.
- You will promptly notify EthicalAds if you become aware of any unauthorized use of, or access to, our Services through your Account, including any unauthorized use of your password or Account.
In some situations, third parties' terms may apply to your use of EthicalAds. For example, you may be a member of an advertising team using EthicalAds with its own terms or license agreements; or you may download an application that integrates with EthicalAds. Please be aware that while these Terms are our full agreement with you, other parties' terms govern their relationships with you.
Short version: EthicalAds runs an ad network and our publishers and advertisers are from all over the world. While using our network and service, you must follow the terms of this section.
Your use of our Network and Services must not violate any applicable laws, including copyright or trademark laws, export control or sanctions laws, or other laws in your jurisdiction. You are responsible for making sure that your use of the Service is in compliance with laws and any applicable regulations.
Short version: You agree to these Terms of Service, plus this Section, when using any of EthicalAds' APIs (Application Provider Interface), or our ad client which is used by publishers to display ads including use of the API through a third party product that accesses EthicalAds.
No abuse or overuse of the API
Abuse or excessively frequent requests to EthicalAds via the API may result in the temporary or permanent suspension of your Account's access to the API. EthicalAds, in our sole discretion, will determine abuse or excessive usage of the API. We will make a reasonable attempt to warn you via email prior to suspension.
You may not share API tokens to exceed EthicalAds' rate limitations.
You may not use the API to download data or Content from EthicalAds for spamming or fraudulent purposes, including for the purposes of ad fraud or generating fake traffic that looks like site visitors.
Advertising on the EthicalAds network
Short version: We run an ad network and our network provides guarantees about how we fairly handle advertising and disputes as well as expectations on our advertisers and publishers.
Our privacy-focused advertising
We run an advertising network which entails matching ad campaigns from advertisers with relevant publisher sites. We do not run any code from advertisers and all ad images are hosted on EthicalAds' servers.
As a publisher
We have a dedicated publisher policy with more details on our expectations for publishers including how ads are displayed and how payouts are made.
As an advertiser
Unless superseded by these terms, ad campaigns on EthicalAds apply the AAAA/IAB Standard Terms and Conditions for Internet Advertising for Media Buys One Year or Less V.3.0 With Oregon as the governing law and venue. These terms are available at IAB.net. Our ad server at server.ethicalads.io will be used for serving and tracking as that agreement outlines.
Your ad campaign may run in a longer amount of time, based on availability and traffic. We can usually provide a good estimate of your campaign duration before the campaign starts.
We request payment for an advertiser's first campaign before the campaign starts. EthicalAds will send invoices to Customer electronically to the email address provided. Customer will remit all payments within thirty (30) days from receipt of invoices, which will be deemed to be the date sent by EthicalAds. Customer will notify EthicalAds of any change in contact information for billing purposes by sending such notice by email to email@example.com.
Short version: You are responsible for any fees associated with your use of EthicalAds. We are responsible for communicating those fees to you clearly and accurately, and letting you know well in advance if those prices change.
Our pricing is available in our prospectus and usually changes quarterly. If you start a campaign with us, the campaign price whether per impression (CPM) or per click (CPC), will remain your price for the duration of the campaign and payment term; however, prices are subject to change at the end of a payment term.
Billing schedule; no refunds
- For advertising campaigns, the Service is billed on net-30 terms usually on a monthly or quarterly basis and is non-refundable. A customer may stop or pause a campaign and apply the credit to a future campaign.
- Exceptions to these rules are at EthicalAds' sole discretion.
By agreeing to these Terms, you are giving us permission to invoice you for services you authorize for EthicalAds.
Responsibility for payment
You are responsible for all fees, including taxes, associated with your use of the Service. By using the Service, you agree to pay EthicalAds any charge incurred in connection with your use of the Service. If you dispute the matter, contact us. You are responsible for providing us with a valid means of payment for advertiser Accounts. Free Accounts are not required to provide payment information.
We handle payouts once a month, with a minimum payment of $50. Our goal is to get payment to our publishers by the 15th of the month, with the payment being the balance at the end of the prior month.
For our compliance and for tax purposes, we may require a government ID from you in certain circumstances to process payouts. We will ask for this explicitly if and when we require it. We handle your information securely and it is deleted no later than 30 days after your next payout.
For more details, see our publisher policy.
Cancellation and termination
Short version: You may close your Account at any time. If you do, we'll treat your information responsibly.
Publisher account cancellation
Generally, a publisher on our Network may stop serving ads for our network at any time. You don't need any permission to do so but you will stop earning ad revenue. We are interested in why you stopped as that is a way for us to improve our product and services and we would like to hear from you.
Advertiser account cancellation
Most advertisers are billed on a per-campaign basis and most campaigns do not automatically renew. If an advertiser does not authorize a campaign to continue, they will not be billed further.
We generally do not delete accounts of past advertisers or publishers. You may request that your account be deleted by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
We will retain and use your information as necessary to comply with our legal obligations, resolve disputes, and enforce our agreements, but barring legal requirements, we will delete your full account within 90 days of deletion. This information can not be recovered once your Account is deleted.
EthicalAds may terminate
EthicalAds has the right to suspend or terminate your access to all or any part of our Network at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice, effective immediately. EthicalAds reserves the right to refuse service to anyone for any reason at any time.
All provisions of this Agreement which, by their nature, should survive termination will survive termination --including, without limitation: ownership provisions, warranty disclaimers, indemnity, and limitations of liability.
Communications with EthicalAds
Short version: We use email and other electronic means to stay in touch with our users.
Electronic communication required
For contractual purposes, you:
- Consent to receive communications from us in an electronic form via the email address you have submitted or via the Service.
- Agree that all Terms of Service, agreements, notices, disclosures, and other communications that we provide to you electronically satisfy any legal requirement that those communications would satisfy if they were on paper. This section does not affect your non-waivable rights.
Legal notice to EthicalAds must be in writing
Communications made through email or EthicalAds' support system will not constitute legal notice to EthicalAds or any of its officers, employees, agents or representatives in any situation where notice to EthicalAds is required by contract or any law or regulation. Legal notice to EthicalAds must be in writing.
No phone support
EthicalAds only offers support via email, in-Service communications, and electronic messages. We do not offer telephone support.
Disclaimer of warranties
Short version: We provide our service as is, and we make no promises or guarantees about this service. Please read this section carefully; you should understand what to expect.
EthicalAds provides the Service and the Network "as is" and "as available," without warranty of any kind. Without limiting this, we expressly disclaim all warranties, whether express, implied or statutory, regarding the Network and the Service including without limitation any warranty of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose, title, security, accuracy and non-infringement.
EthicalAds does not warrant that the Service will meet your requirements; that the Service will be uninterrupted, timely, secure, or error-free; that the information provided through the Service is accurate, reliable or correct; that any defects or errors will be corrected; that the Service will be available at any particular time or location; or that the Service is free of viruses or other harmful components. You assume full responsibility and risk of loss resulting from your downloading and/or use of files, information, content or other material obtained from the Service.
Limitation of liability
Short version: We will not be liable for damages or losses arising from your use or inability to use the Service or otherwise arising under this agreement. Please read this section carefully; it limits our obligations to you.
You understand and agree that we will not be liable to you or any third party for any loss of profits, use, goodwill, or data, or for any incidental, indirect, special, consequential or exemplary damages, however arising, that result from:
- the use, disclosure, or display of your User-Generated Content;
- your use or inability to use the Service;
- any modification, price change, suspension or discontinuance of the Service;
- the Service generally or the software or systems that make the Service available;
- unauthorized access to or alterations of your transmissions or data;
- statements or conduct of any third party on the Service;
- any other user interactions that you input or receive through your use of the Service; or
- any other matter relating to the Service.
Our liability is limited whether or not we have been informed of the possibility of such damages, and even if a remedy set forth in this Agreement is found to have failed of its essential purpose. We will have no liability for any failure or delay due to matters beyond our reasonable control.
Release and indemnification
Short version: You are responsible for your use of the service. If you harm someone else or get into a dispute with someone else, we will not be involved.
If you have a dispute with one or more Users, you agree to release EthicalAds from any and all claims, demands and damages (actual and consequential) of every kind and nature, known and unknown, arising out of or in any way connected with such disputes.
You agree to indemnify us, defend us, and hold us harmless from and against any and all claims, liabilities, and expenses, including attorneys' fees, arising out of your use of the Network and the Service, including but not limited to your violation of this Agreement, provided that EthicalAds:
- Promptly gives you written notice of the claim, demand, suit or proceeding
- Gives you sole control of the defense and settlement of the claim, demand, suit or proceeding (provided that you may not settle any claim, demand, suit or proceeding unless the settlement unconditionally releases EthicalAds of all liability)
- Provides to you all reasonable assistance, at your expense.
Changes to these terms
Short version: We want our users to be informed of important changes to our terms, but some changes aren't that important --- we don't want to bother you every time we fix a typo. So while we may modify this agreement at any time, we will notify users of any changes that affect your rights and give you time to adjust to them.
We reserve the right, at our sole discretion, to amend these Terms of Service at any time and will update these Terms of Service in the event of any such amendments. We will notify our Users of material changes to this Agreement, such as price changes, prior to any new ad campaigns by posting a notice on our Website. For non-material modifications, your continued use of the Service constitutes agreement to our revisions of these Terms of Service.
We reserve the right at any time and from time to time to modify or discontinue, temporarily or permanently, the Website (or any part of it) with or without notice.
Except to the extent applicable law provides otherwise, this Agreement between you and EthicalAds and any access to or use of our Network or our Services are governed by the federal laws of the United States of America and the laws of the State of Oregon, without regard to conflict of law provisions.
Section headings and summaries
Throughout this Agreement, each section includes titles and brief summaries of the following terms and conditions. These section titles and brief summaries are not legally binding.
Severability, no waiver, and survival
If any part of this Agreement is held invalid or unenforceable, that portion of the Agreement will be construed to reflect the parties' original intent. The remaining portions will remain in full force and effect. Any failure on the part of EthicalAds to enforce any provision of this Agreement will not be considered a waiver of our right to enforce such provision. Our rights under this Agreement will survive any termination of this Agreement.
Amendments; complete agreement
Questions about the Terms of Service? Get in touch.